One thing I've learned over the years through my teaching and meeting all kind of people is that we all need each other at different stages of life. The more we empower others the greater our own self-empowerment. Age, race, status, or circumstances don’t matter. We all need some nice words, some encouragement to keep us going. If you want to feel supported and cheered up, try doing the same for others. It works like a miracle potion; it is simple and free only requiring some time and a compassionate heart.
1. Lend an open ear; listen.
2. Believe in them.
3. Make them feel valued and important.
4. Be a role model; guide by example.
5. Challenge them to be and feel better.
6. Inspire them with your own actions.
7. Spend some quality time with them.
8. Walk in their shoes and don’t judge.
9. Praise them for their small and big accomplishments.
One of our main life purposes should be making a meaningful impact in the world that surrounds us, starting with ourselves, spreading it to our inner circle, and expanding beyond it. Charles Dickens once said that no one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. In the end it is not about what we get so much as what we give; that’s what makes a difference.