“Learn how to use the criticism as fuel and you will never run out of energy.”
The world is really small. We are all surrounded by those who don’t like us or would not agree with who we are and the choices we make. At the same time we can’t isolate from the rest of the human population much less deny ourselves the pleasure of experiencing our life as it is. So you are not a hundred dollar bill to be liked by everyone but you like yourself enough to take charge of your life and decide exactly how you want to live it. It is good to remember that your reactions to criticism, negative attitudes, and even gossip will determine how much power people will have over you. Next time they start a campaign against your sanity reach out to these suggestions:
1. Breathe: Simple enough but powerful. Deep breathing relaxes your body and helps you to face any situation with more ease.
2. Become aware of your feelings: Sometimes we react without noticing the reason why we are reacting in a certain way, making the situation worse, ending up in a more difficult situation than when we started. Get in contact with your emotions first.
3. Slow down: Think before you respond. It has been a hard lesson to learn but sometimes it is better to walk away from an argument instead of getting all heat up. In most cases this strategy would leave people confused and speechless.
4. Don’t take anything personal: People have the tendency to oppose the same things they would love to do but are afraid of. It is true that we are all mirrors of each other. Don’t forget that everyone has a personal story and we all carry a heavy baggage.
5. Learn the lesson: Dealing with negative people teaches us to set boundaries, to grow stronger in our beliefs and lifestyles. Being kind to everyone doesn't mean that everyone should be allowed in your circle. If we are looking for positivism, negativity can’t be welcome.
6. Do it anyway: This is my favorite. Against all odds, follow your instincts, your path, and your mission no matter how many out there oppose it. With time you’ll be satisfy with the life you've chosen and they will have to back off, realizing it is a waste of their time and energy.
In the end, we can all stay connected and live harmoniously respecting and accepting each other but since we live in a wonderful imperfect world, we need to learn how to play the game and stay grounded in our happy place. Like grandma use to say, “Kill them with kindness and they’ll have no other choice but to let kindness in.”