Have you noticed how with the passing of the years, we have been awakening to the past and what it taught us? We have been navigating through many stages and finally here we are; going back to the times when we were happy, living as a community with less means but more life fulfillment.
Observing the patterns, I have realized that there’s some kind of magic in living simple. I am a product of it and am currently re-discovering how in simplicity our real life purpose could be reached. What are the benefits of living simple? This is what I know:
- 1. It gives us the tools to live with intention, committed to better not only our personal world but the world in general.
- 2. It helps us create a safe environment for ourselves and the generations to come.
- 3. It gives us a sense of solidarity with the world around us.
- 4. It makes us think about our consumption habits and how they positively or negatively affect social needs.
- 5. It creates a sense of community, helping and looking after each other.
- 6. It raises our levels of spirituality and gets us closer to the basics.
As a teacher, I used to teach my students the KISS (Keep it simple stupid) principle as a way to learn a foreign language in a way that was simple but fun and challenging at the same time. Today, I see that this same principle applies to everything in life. We just waste too much precious time complicating our lives by always wanting more, consuming more than what we really need, asking for a lot more; in an eternal competition, most of the time against ourselves.
Living simple is a celebration of life where we are grateful for the riches of nature’s perfect creation, the riches of community and mindful sharing with others rather than in the "poverty" of mindless materialism.
“Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing.” — Oscar Wilde